Hinchinbrook Shire Library is open for loaning and returning of items only. Please contact the Library for further information.
Nourish your love of reading while relaxing in our modern library overlooking beautiful lagoons. Discover local, genealogical and North Queensland military history whilst browsing unique Heritage Collections. Free computer and Wi-Fi access and a travellers library via Tourist Cards are among the many services provided for your convenience. The Hinchinbrook Shire Library boasts regular activities for children, informative computer classes and friendly, knowledgeable staff that will assist with your research needs.
P: 07 4776 4614
Rural Libraries Queensland
As a member of the Rural Libraries Queensland (RLQ) network – access a catalogue of more than 300,000 items online, at any time of the day or night.
Local library members can access the entire Rural Libraries Queensland (RLQ) catalogue, including bestsellers, audio books, popular DVDs, large print books, magazines, ebooks, and free music downloads. So in effect, we borrow the item from another library so you can borrow it from us.
- Search the catalogue
- Check your loans
- Renew your loans
- Reserve library items
The State Library of Queensland provides free access to numerous databases for all members of Queensland’s Public Libraries.
The Collections held by Hinchinbrook Shire Library service include
- Print material
- Fiction and non-fiction books suitable for all ages
- Large Print fiction and non-fiction for vision impaired readers
- Newspapers are delivered daily for reading within the library
- Magazines on topics ranging from science to fishing; gardening and home decorating to finance; politics to parenting
- Community Language collection – books in languages other than English (LOTE)
- Online Databases – subjects include Art, Music, Science, Health, Humanities, Newspapers, Reading, Law, Literature and Encyclopedias
- Talking Books for vision impaired readers
- DVDs and CDs
- Ancestry – Library Edition
- Special Collections (link to Heritage/Culture page)
- Local History Collection – a collection of files, books, newspapers and photographs relating to the history of the Hinchinbrook region.
- Kennedy Regiment Library – A collection of files, objects, books, military records and manuals, serials and photographs concerning the history of the 31st, 2/31st and 31/51st Battalions
Membership is free and open to all Hinchinbrook residents. All that is required is photographic proof of ID and residence. Special Tourist Cards are also available, with conditions. Visit the Hinchinbrook Shire Library or Halifax Sub Branch to complete your membership application and collect your library card. A responsible adult (parent or guardian) must sign the enrolment forms for children under 16 years of age.